Yawn…something that is in the news a lot more today. A simple thing. Sleeping. A natural thing. A thing the body knows how to do from the minute you are created. So why are celebrity experts like Arianna Huffington and Shawn Stevenson writing best selling books about it..because its harder to get today.
Those of you that have been following me you know I am not a medical expert. I want to state that the information I am going to share is from my personal perspective- from books I have read (see above), articles read, and personal experience.
This topic is on my mind because I recently went through a three week period where I couldn’t sleep. This is highly unusual-for me. I am the type of person who could sleep standing up after drinking a 2 liter of Diet Coke. Sleep was one of my super powers, a gift from my mother. So when it actually effected me, all the podcasts I had heard, books I read and things I knew all came flooding back and I wanted to share them with you.
Sleep is important for your mind and body.
Here are some things you may know or be surprised at and why Sleep Matters!
- The average person is exposed to over 5,000 advertising messages a day. Sleep is the minds great eraser. Sleep allows all the conscience and sub-conscience messages be washed away to clear the mind
- Sleep keeps you young. It repairs your cells for all your organs- including skin #fountainofyouth
- Keeps your weight down. Lack of sleep increases stress hormones cortisol that holds on to those extra pounds #sleepskinny
- Sleep helps you learn better, remember more and be more calm and rational at work
- Stay healthy during winter months, a well rested body fights off germs better. (ever notice you get a cold/flu the morning after a late night?)
Tricks I tried to get me back on track to sleeping more normally:
- Less Caffeine
- More Yoga
- Added Green Tea and more water to daily intact of fluids
- Warm baths with lavender oils and sleepy time tea
- Talking with friends about the things on my mind
The holidays can be stressful…here is a cute little quote I found.
“sleeping is nice. you forget about everything for a little while”